Sony has announced the ‘Imaging Edge’ mobile application that replaces the PlayMemories Mobile app. It offers remote control capability and geolocation. Users of recent Sony cameras (RX10 IV, RX100 V(A) and VI, a7 III, a7R III and a9) will be able to transfer 4K video in addition to full-resolution images (by selecting media on-camera). a9 owners will also be able to auto-transfer 2MP images.
Transfer & Tagging add-on
A pro workflow ‘Transfer & Tagging add-on’ will be available for the a9, a7R III and a7 III. This allows metadata tags to be added to images, including voice-input for quick captioning.
In addition, a9 users will be able to use the camera’s background FTP capability to quickly transfer full-res photos automatically to the smartphone or a remote server. Users will be able to do so wirelessly via a Wi-Fi access point or via direct tethering to a mobile phone (if the phone supports it), or via wired USB connection to the mobile device. Both the Imaging Edge app and the Transfer & Tagging add-on will be available this spring.
Later this month, version 1.4 of Sony’s desktop applications will be updated. The Remote, View and Edit apps will support time-lapse movie creation along with improved usability.
A bit more info can be found on Sony’s website.
New Imaging Edge Software Enhances Mobile Connectivity and Expands the Creative Capabilities of Sony Cameras
Sony Announces New Imaging Edge Mobile Applications, Plus Several Updates to Existing Desktop Applications
SAN DIEGO — Jan. 15, 2019 — Sony Electronics Inc. today announced the release of new Imaging Edge™ mobile applications plus several updates to the ‘Remote,’ ‘Viewer’ and ‘Edit’ desktop applications that will bring exciting new features to all Sony imaging customers ranging from casual hobbyists to working professionals.
New Imaging Edge Mobile Applications
The newly introduced mobile application named Imaging Edge Mobile is the successor to Sony’s PlayMemories Mobile™ app and will offer instant transfer of images from camera to a connected mobile devices while shooting. Images can be transferred when utilizing the new “Auto background transfer to Smartphone” functionality, allowing users to easily share content direct from their phone to social media platforms. The mobile application also supports 4K movie transfer and remote control functionality.
For professional photographers, Sony will be releasing a new mobile application ‘Transfer & Tagging add-on’ that will support instant delivery workflow by allowing users to transfer content to their mobile devices via the camera’s FTP background transfer functionality, without distraction from their shooting. It also enables voice input for text captioning to help streamline communication and overall workflow between photographers and other team members. There is also an online function that will allow you to sync a Caption Glossary between multiple devices.
Sony’s new Imaging Edge mobile application and ‘Transfer & Tagging add-on’ will be available in March 2019.
Enhancements of ‘Remote’ ‘Viewer’ ‘Edit’ Desktop Applications
The desktop version of Sony’s Imaging Edge application will be updated as well, with workflow support of time-lapse movie creation, making it an ideal match for Sony’s newest interchangeable lens cameras with built-in interval recording. Other new features to maximize usability have been added as well, such as comparison display and collection functions, as well as a new and improved user interface.
The latest Version 1.4 of Desktop Applications ‘Remote’ ‘Viewer’ ‘Edit’ will be available later this month.
For more information on the new application updates, please visit the Imaging Edge website at https://imagingedge.sony.net.
A variety of exclusive stories and exciting new content related to all of Sony’s exciting announcements can be found at www.alphauniverse.com, a site built to educate and inspire all fans and customers of the Sony α brand. The new content will also be posted directly at the Sony Camera Channel on YouTube.
1. A successor application of PlayMemories Mobile. Existing PlayMemories Mobile users can use this by updating PlayMemories Mobile
2. Compatible with ILCE-9 with software update Ver.5.0 or later. Files are imported in 2MP size when using this function
3. Compatible with ILCE-9 with software update Ver.5.0 or later, ILCE-7RM3, ILCE-7M3, ILCE-6400, DSC-RX10M4, DSC-RX100M6, DSC-RX100M5A. Availability of video transfer and playback varies depending on smartphone in use
4. Add-on mobile application for ‘Imaging Edge Mobile’. Available countries: US/Canada/UK/France/Germany/Hong Kong/China/Australia/Japan. User registration is required to use this application. Compatible with ILCE-9 with software update Ver.5.0 or later, ILCE-7RM3, ILCE-7M3
5. Compatible with ILCE-9 with software update Ver.5.0 or later
6. The voice input of this application uses the service provided by Google. If Google services are not available, you cannot use the voice input. Please use the keyboard input
7. RAW processing adjustments by batch, adding music/texts, outputting 4K movie are also available